Monday, January 18, 2010

Monday, Second Week of Ordinary Time

Entering the Gospel of Saint Mark we find the too-familiar world of controversy, that is, the running feud between the Pharisees and Jesus. As I consider that troubled environment where the Gospel was born, I find it helpful to remember three things:
  • Jesus was one among many rabbis who argued continually about their Jewish religion. Arguments are born of passion and passion is a sign of life. People who agree about everything don’t care about anything. I often hear “It doesn’t matter which church you attend” and I agree with that – so long as you don’t attend any church. Likewise, it doesn’t matter if you're Republican or Democrat so long as you don’t vote. But Jesus being a vital human being with a passionate love of God argued with others and was never above controversy. If the Evangelists remember his winning every argument, they might be forgiven for exaggerating just a tad. No doubt his opponents had other versions of their quarrels. 
  • Secondly, the Pharisaic religion was the only form of Judaism to survive the catastrophe when Jerusalem was destroyed in 70 a.d. The Herodians and Essenes disappeared into the vortex of history, and Christianity evolved into another religion. So we should give credit to the Pharisees; their kind of fidelity had enough spirit, depth and flexibility to survive an apocalyptic crisis. Today’s Judaism with all its astonishing beauty, variety, mystery and courage is the religion of the Pharisees.
  • Finally, we should remember that the arguments as we find them in the gospels were not recorded for historical accuracy. The Gospels, written in the first century, were the Church’s first answers to “WWJD?” “Should we describe our religion with rituals and rules, or is there some other way?” These questions tear at the Christian community to this day as the Church struggles to survive.
That said, I ask myself, “How do I respond to this controversy?” It is tempting to assume the role of Jesus. I will judge my fellow Catholics and Christians and the institution of organized religion. I will stand apart from the community and, by my good example, show them how they should live. Or better yet, I will tell them how they should live. I wonder how many new Christians are immediately initiated into that obnoxious way of life.
Entering more deeply into the spirit of the Gospel, I realize the Holy Spirit sent me to this church not to reform it but to be reformed by it. I need them more than they need me. Because I am an opinionated, arrogant person, I formed my judgments about certain individuals when I walked through the door. Now how can I step from behind those mental blindfolds and see these people for who they are: courageous, devout, flawed but beautiful saints of God?
I will begin by thanking God for inviting me, undeserving as I am, to belong to this Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.