Thursday, February 25, 2010

Thursday of the First Week in Lent


Ask and you shall receive.

Whether we are
·       rich or poor,
·       healthy or unhealthy,
·       secure or imperiled,
·       befriended or lonely,
·       comfortable or suffering,
·       strong or weak,
·       successful or failing,
·       respected or despised
We Are Never Satisfied.

Someone might say, "Shame on us
for never being satisfied, for being so ungrateful."

But the point is we have an insatiable appetite for God.
We want to be filled with God who is 
      infinitely beyond our capacity for satisfaction.
We are shot glasses that would contain the ocean.

Having much can sometimes distract us from our basic desire, 
        as can having not enough.

In Christ we learn gratitude for what we have and
     desire for more.

We learn not to be content 
    with what we have, and not 
        to pursue what cannot satisfy.

During Lent we should do an inventory. 
Thank you God for the blessings I enjoy.

Help me to want more :
·       more patience,
·       more generosity,
·       more willingness,
·       more discipline,
·       more sorrow for my sins,
·       better health,
·       more compassion for friends,
o      family,
o      co-workers,
o      neighbors, and
o      enemies.

Give me Lord 
  • a divine dissatisfaction with the way things are and 
  • deep suspicion of this world's gifts, and
  • contempt for anything that would dare to satisfy me.

    Give me You.


1 comment:

  1. "We are shot glasses that would contain the ocean." Great image!
    W.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.