Thursday, February 4, 2010

Thursday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

This and many passages like it are great favorites of us Franciscans. Saint Francis recognized his own vocation when he heard these words. The invitation to live as Jesus lived – with no food, no sack, and no money – delighted Francis no end. The imitation of Christ on the road of poverty was the simplest, easiest, fastest and most beautiful path to salvation.


But he also heard that the friars should go out two by two. We are not called to be Lone Rangers. We should live in community because the human being is a social animal. There might seem to be more “freedom” in solitude; and loners could cover twice as much territory as friars sent two by two; but the solitary life is far too dangerous and difficult. Indeed the recluse, losing touch with the care, courtesy, and concern of others, risks insanity.

“So they went off and preached repentance.” Early in his career and under the impulse of the Holy Spirit, Francis decided he and his seven companions should make a trial run of preaching. They were enjoying the path of simplicity so much they knew they had to share it with others. So the eight of them went out to a crossroad and divided into four groups of two. Each would go a separate route until the Holy Spirit should gather them again.

“But wait a minute,” one said, “What should we call ourselves?” The question had never come up before. After praying for a while, as he always did, and waiting for an answer, Francis said, “We are penitents from Assisi!”

Of course! We are sinners, forgiven, blessed and grateful. If God would forgive King David, as we heard last week, for adultery and murder, He is surely eager and willing to forgive us.

I told a woman recently that I had not had a drink in thirty years. She was stunned, and she thought I had told her a great secret about my shameful past. “I’ll tell no one!” she assured me.

“It’s not a secret.” I told her.

While it’s true I did some really stupid and sinful things under the influence, I’m more fascinated and grateful to God for what he did for me. My history of drinking and my sobriety are part of my gospel and I don’t mind announcing “how I practice penance and what penance has done for me” to anyone who will listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.