Friday, March 12, 2010

Friday of the Third Week of Lent

The scribe said to him, “Well said, teacher, you are right…. And when Jesus saw that he answered with understanding, he said to him, “You are not far from the Kingdom of God.”


Ecce quam bonum, et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

Somewhere in my early seminary training we sang those Latin words: Behold how good and how pleasant it is where brothers dwell as one.

I hear that song in my heart as I read this conversation between Jesus and a scribe. Politically they might be poles apart, but they love the Lord and his Law, and take delight in his commands.

That fellowship, which appears unexpectedly at times, is the work of the Holy Spirit and the foundation of the Church. We love the Lord and his law and we discover affection and respect for one another.

At the VA hospital, for the past two years, I have discussed “values” with the patients in the psych ward. That’s a wide open topic. It took me a while to develop an approach to the subject and longer yet to discover why it’s important. One thing I’ve learned along the way is that men who share the same values, discovering one another, feel less lonely. A shared value becomes a safe “meeting place” for them. The value may be the treasure of military experience, a hobby, a common acquaintance, or the same church. They can meet in that “place” time and time again and, if they choose, develop a friendship from there.

The meeting place Jesus and this lawyer discover may be the most valuable place on heaven or earth. Living by this law each is willing to cede everything to God, and to acknowledge his own contingency. That is to say, God is the heart and center of my life, I am merely his servant. My needs, desires, ambitions, preferences beliefs, opinions and values are secondary to God, who is all in all.

As Saint Francis said, “My God and my all!”

As we hear today’s gospel, we can savor the sweetness of these words. None of us lives up to them. For that matter, none of us has earned the right even to hear the Law announced to us. We do not deserve such blessing. But God has whispered these beautiful commands to us, “Love God. Love your neighbor!” and our hearts are filled with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.