Monday, March 15, 2010

Monday of the Fourth Week of Lent

The man believed what Jesus said to him and left.


A few years ago a media joker invited people to “Trust me.” The phrase inspired anything but trust. And yet that is the constant invitation of Jesus in the Gospel of John.

We have every reason to trust him. We believe that a Good God must be infinitely worthy of our trust, on the one hand. On the other, if we cannot trust God who can we trust? As I often say to the Veteran patients, “If God is not merciful we’re all in big trouble.” But it doesn’t come easy.

Today’s first reading from the book of the Prophet Isaiah delights the heart with its promise: “I am about to create new heavens and a new earth.” The Book of Revelation, six hundred years later, echoes this sentiment with the words of Jesus, “See I make all things new.”

Christ will make us new. This is something we really cannot imagine. Can a caterpillar imagine a butterfly? Can an unborn baby imagine playing baseball? We cannot imagine the freedom, happiness, and satisfaction Jesus promises to us. We cannot imagine an earthly or heavenly society built on surrender to His will.

As one who has suffered various kinds of illness I know how long it takes to heal; and that the patient, who longs for nothing more than a return to the way things used to be, cannot imagine the contentment of a post-hospital life that is nothing like the former. Sometimes the health care worker must say to the impatient patient, "Trust me; it will get better."

In today’s gospel, the royal official pleaded with Jesus, “Come down before my child dies.” We often plead with God to “come down” before we lose everything. Before my debts overwhelm me, before my health collapses, before the economy tanks, before our nation becomes just another second-rate former empire, “Come down!”

Jesus does not come down with the royal official. Rather he gives his word, “Your son will live.”

There is nothing more liberating than faith. We heard Jesus complain to the stricken parent, “Unless you people see signs and wonders, you will not believe.” He complains because God cannot give a more persuasive sign than "Trust me." Nor is there any greater power in heaven or on earth than faith in God's word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.