Monday, March 1, 2010

Monday of the Second Week in Lent

Today’s first reading from the Book of Daniel invites us to consider the gift and virtue and mystery of Penance.

There is an ancient principle in the Church, lex orandi, lex credendi. Literally it reads, “law of prayer; law of belief.” It means, as the Church prays, so it believes. The opposite is not always true, we don’t always pray according to our beliefs. And that’s good because the Holy Spirit teaches us to pray and then lets us figure out why we’re praying. If you want to know what we believe, watch how we pray.

Someone asked me once, “Can a suicide go to heaven?” I was stumped for a moment until I remembered lex orandi, lex credendi. If we prayed a funeral Mass for him we surely have some hope that God will forgive his sin. With that principle in mind, I consider my experience of penance.

What I hear often in the confessional is less about guilt and more about shame, grief and confusion. Thinking that our prayers should conform to our beliefs, I’ve been frustrated by what I heard. “Why don’t these people confess their guilt?” But they were deeply distressed and they came to Penance to speak of
  • Shame: often for things done to them, frequently for foolish things that are not sinful;
  • Grief: over the death of a loved one or the loss of a home or job; and
  • Confusion: Why don’t my children attend church? Why do I hurt so much for doing the right thing? What happened to the world that made sense?

So I’m coming around to a different way of thinking. Penance is a very great mystery, and the Sacrament of Penance, under the impulse of the Holy Spirit, helps us to turn to God when we experience guilt, shame, grief, confusion or any combination of them. It may also be a healing sacrament as well, though we call upon the Anointing of the Sick for that ministry.

As Director of Retreats in Prior Lake Minnesota I thought people would surely want to go to confession during their annual retreat. Less than a third did. Were they bad retreatants? I don’t think so. I just didn’t understand that we the Church do not have to herd our sheep into the sacrament, neither as children nor adults. We should offer it and remind people of it and wait for them to decide when they need it. Lex orandi, lex credendi: They should attend the sacrament when they want to, not when I say they should.

Lent is a good time to think about Penance. Perhaps you are experiencing guilt, shame, grief or confusion and it’s time to approach the Sacrament as you prepare for Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.