Friday, May 21, 2010

Friday of the Seventh Week of Easter

After Mary, the Immaculate Conception/Virgin Mother/Assumption; after Joseph the husband of Mary, the worker and just man – there is Peter. Before he is spokesman for the apostles and model of the papacy, Peter is the everyman Christian. By no stretch of the imagination is he perfect. But he has that quality which belongs to all of us: he loves the Lord.

Peter enjoyed the historically unique privilege of knowing Jesus as a human being. He is Sam Gamgee to Jesus’ Frodo; heroic in his eager willingness to accompany the hero even when he lacks the moral character to pull it off.

We have to love the man; he is so much like you and me. In this gospel story Jesus tests his faithful Peter: “Do you love me?” Three times he asks the question. We can see Jesus searching Peter’s eyes with his penetrating and very serious gaze. We can see Peter withering before the glancing eye of God. If he has answered the question the first time with his usual cocksure confidence; by the third question he is reduced to tears.

He has remembered what every reader remembers, that he denied any association with Jesus in the High Priest’s courtyard. Three times, by the light of a charcoal fire, he told a servant girl – not a judge or cop or person of any authority – that he had nothing to do with Jesus. Despite his bold proclamation a few hours earlier that he was ready to die with Jesus, a suspicious woman, detecting cowardice, had smoked him out of his well-guarded pretense.

Now the Lord Himself, standing before another charcoal fire, confronts him again: Do you love me? Peter must beg for mercy. “Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you.” Jesus knows Peter’s cowardice and his infidelity – as he knows yours and mine. And he knows we love him despite it all. We might pretend to be stalwart Christians before our neighbors, friends and enemies. Perhaps we have avoided even the penetrating eyes of our immediate family, but Jesus knows the truth about each of us.

At last, when Peter sees his true self reflected in the brilliant mirror of Jesus’ eyes, he receives his true identity and vocation as chief shepherd of the flock: Feed my sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.