Monday, June 28, 2010

Memorial of Saint Irenaeus, bishop and martyr





Today our responsorial reading places the congregation in an unexpected and uncomfortable place. We must speak to our friends, family, neighbors, fellow citizens and enemies, “Remember this, you who never think of God.
A noted theologian once asked Saint Francis of Assisi about the famous passage in Ezekiel 3: 17-81:
Thus the word of the Lord came to me: Son of man, I have appointed you a watchman for the house of Israel. When you hear a word from my mouth, you shall warn them for me. If I say to the wicked man, You shall surely die; and you do not warn him or speak out to dissuade him from his wicked conduct so that he may live: that wicked man shall die for his sin, but I will hold you responsible for his death.

Thomas of Celano in his second book about Saint Francis (The Remembrance of the Desire of a Soul, Chapter LXIX) recounts the story:
While he was staying in Siena someone from the Order of Preachers happened to arrive; he was a spiritual man and a Doctor of Sacred Theology. He visited blessed Francis, and he and the holy man enjoyed a long and sweet conversation about the words of the Lord. This teacher asked him about the words of Ezekiel….:
“I’m acquainted with many people, good Father, who live in mortal sin, as I’m aware. But I don’t always warn them about their wickedness. Will I then be held responsible for their souls?”
Blessed Francis then said that he was an unlettered man and it would be better for him to be taught by the other rather than to answer a question about scripture. But that humble teacher replied: “Brother, it’s true I have heard these words explained by some wise men; still, I’d be glad to hear how you understand it.”
So blessed Francis said to him: “If that passage is supposed to be understood in a universal sense, then I understand it to mean that a servant of God should be burning with life and holiness so brightly, that by the light of example and the tongue of his conduct, he will rebuke all the wicked. In that way, I say, the brightness of his life and the fragrance of his reputation will proclaim their wickedness to all of them.”
That man went away greatly edified, and said to the companions of blessed
Francis: “My brothers, the theology of this man, held aloft by purity and contemplation, is a soaring eagle, while our learning crawls on its belly on the ground.”

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the Psalm and even the first reading have a most serious note to them. Amos, the prophet, had to chastise the Israelites. Am I willing to speak up to my brothers and sisters? Am I willing to hear it when my brothers and sisters need to chastise me? We are all on the journey together as Francis and Thomas of Celano point out. We need to learn from each other.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.