Saturday, June 19, 2010

Saturday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time


If you want to visit someone who never worries, visit the cemetery. But the rest of us worry. It seems to come with our innate human ability to anticipate the future. Other animals experience anxiety, especially when they’re placed in unfamiliar or stressful settings. But we human beings worry about things even when the threats are remote, unlikely and implausible.
Jesus consistently teaches us, “Do not be afraid.” He points to the birds of the air and the lilies of the field. Aren’t they beautiful? Look how God provides for them. His eye is on the sparrow, and I know he watches over me.
This teaching is aimed specifically at his disciples. All human beings worry but Jesus gathers us to himself and reassures us. So long as our goals are God’s goals; and our aims, God’s aims, there is no cause for worry.
It’s only when we ponder those things that seem unimportant to God that we worry. “This is what I want! This is what I must have, regardless of God’s intentions.” That’s worrisome.
It doesn’t help when well-intentioned, but foolish people speak of “God’s will” when tragedy strikes. The expression takes on morbid and terrifying dimensions.
God intends only good for us. If we say “God’s will” when bad things happen, we should dance for joy and sing “God wills it!” when blessings fall on us. So as to counter the damage done by the former expression.
Jesus provides for his disciples as he sends them into the world. They will have all they need as they announce the good news to friends, acquaintances, strangers and enemies. So don’t worry about tomorrow. God will be there, just as he was yesterday and is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.