Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Solemnity of Saint Peter and Saint Paul

The Lord stood by me and gave me strength,
so that through me the proclamation might be completed.


On this solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul we hear readings about their reliance on the Lord. If we regard religion as just another institution in this world – along with government, military, academia, health care and so forth – we should expect the Church to be deeply rooted, well-funded and powerful. Human beings need spiritual institutions just as we need physical infrastructures, and we build them solidly.
But our Christian tradition daily reminds us that our religion is founded not on human tradition but on the solid rock of faith. It doesn’t take an anthropologist to remind us cities, nations, and empires come and go. Nothing we build lasts forever. The Near East is pocked by ruined cities from prehistoric times. Some of the ruins tourists see today were visited by Abraham and Sarah. To see the place, you’d think that’s what human beings do – build ruins!
If a religion is to survive very long, especially a religion so organized and disciplined as the Catholic Church, it must be rooted in faith and nurtured by virtue. God is the gardener and builder of this walled garden. 
And so today’s first reading recall God's fidelity to Peter and Paul, the most important apostles: 

  • The man who had seen Jesus Christ escape the tomb might not have been surprised when an angel let him out of the jail, but I’m sure Saint Peter was grateful. 
  • In the second reading, Saint Paul remembers the exhausting challenges he has faced. “My life is being poured out like a libation.” The years of his life have washed over the altar like spilled wine, seemingly wasted. Its sweet stickiness draws thirsty flies and intoxicates hapless earthworms. And yet he believes “The Lord stood by me and gave me strength.

Twenty centuries later, although we look back on a long history of God’s providential care, we still feel anxious about today’s obstacles. It seems the Church always has its back to the wall. But the Lord always “has our back.” And so we praise God: “The angel of the Lord will rescue those who fear him.

1 comment:

  1. Your comments make think of the present day sex abuse scandal. The Church has seen scandals over the centuries. Because the Church is grounded in faith in God, I am confident we will survive this too. The Church includes human beings but it is guided by the Holy Spirit.

    I love the feast of Sts. Peter and Paul. Especially now after being in Rome. I feel like this day gives us a chance to remember how long we, the Church, have been following Christ.

    Peace,

    Martha

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.