Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tuesday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time



On Sunday we heard these dreadful words from 2 Samuel:
Now, therefore, the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised me.
In today’s reading from the 1 Kings, we hear how the curse hung over the House of David: For this, the Lord says: In the place where the dogs licked up the blood of Naboth, the dogs shall lick up your blood, too.’”

In both stories, God forgives the king when he repents of his wicked deed, but his curse persists. In today's more secular parlance, we call the effect "consequences." 

Parents must continually teach their children that every act has its consequences. They are often astonished at how short-sighted their (other-wise brilliant) children are. But small children cannot even follow the ins and outs of a simple story. They don't put two and two together to make four. 
Recent studies of the developing human brain indicate that, well into our teenage and young adult years, human beings have a hard time thinking of consequences. Under the influence of alcohol, marijuana or cigarettes, not to mention sexual desire, it is almost impossible to “stop and think it over.”
More frightening are the long term effects of this misbehavior: psychological and spiritual maturation effectively stops when a child starts using recreational drugs. It will not resume, if ever, until he sobers up.
King David, eying Bathsheba in all her splendor, never supposed his grandchildren might suffer from his impulsiveness.
But there is good news too. Our good deeds also live on through eternity.
For I, the Lord, your God, am a jealous God, inflicting punishments for their fathers' wickedness on the children of those who hate me, down to the third and fourth generation but bestowing mercy, down to the thousandth generation, on the children of those who love me and keep my commandments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.