Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tuesday of the Twelfth Week of Ordinary Time



The “Golden Rule” is the Taj Mahal of Christian teaching. It affords endless reflection.
It sounds like a principle found in the Old Testament Book of Tobit, “Do not do to others what you would not have them do to you.” I understand Tobit’s principle is also found in the teachings of Confucius also.
Parents teach their children this simple rule. “You don’t like it when someone takes your toys away from you. You don’t take toys away from your sister!”
Do not do to others what you would not have them do to you.
The principle serves us well as adults. I don’t like to be cut off in traffic; I don’t do it to others. I don’t like to be ignored; I don’t ignore others. It would be very hard to live in civilized society without this basic rule of civility.
But Tobit’s rule only goes so far. It doesn’t ask me to actually do anything. It is negative: “Do not do…”
Jesus’ Golden Rule, though it sounds similar to Tobit’s, is radically different because he teaches me to act. “Do to others as you would have them do to you.”
I am supposed to take the initiative, and not just wait for things to happen around me.
Acting on this principle I become “like God” in that God first loved me before I knew God. This is a tremendous, astonishing and thrilling invitation. He has directed me to get creative and get going, to be a first mover of generosity.
But what should I do to others?
“Do …as you would have them to do you!”
Now I have to think, withdrawing into myself and wondering, “How would I like them to treat me?”
Do I want advice? The gospel yesterday warned against giving advice and, now that I think of it, I don’t want advice, especially when it comes within an envelope of superiority and contempt.
What do I want? Now that’s a difficult question for many of us. Growing up in large Catholic families and attending 50-kid-to-the-classroom schools, the question wasn’t asked. I knew what I wanted because I was told what I wanted, and that’s what I got!
So when Jesus tells me to “Do to others as you would have them do to you” I have to pause and think about that. I may have to wait a while for the answer to appear. We’re talking about contemplation here.
I want compassion, understanding, encouragement, support, approval. I want people to hear me, and to be with me when I need someone there for me. I want people to bear with me when I can hardly bear myself. 
I am often quite capable of figuring things out for myself, but if I had the right environment, I might arrive there sooner.
So that’s what I should do for others. First of all, be there. Show up! That’s 80% of success according to the great theologian, Woody Allen. When I am there for others, as Jesus is here for me, the other 20% will not be hard to figure out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.