Friday, July 9, 2010

Friday of the Fourteenth Week in Ordinary Time

Let him who is wise understand these things;

let him who is prudent know them.
Straight are the paths of the Lord,
in them the just walk,
but sinners stumble in them.


The Prophet Hosea’s final chapter speaks of penance. Recently I have begun to understand a little better this mystery:
Return, O Israel, to the Lord, your God;
you have collapsed through your guilt.
I will love them freely;
for my wrath is turned away from them.
I will be like the dew for Israel:
he shall blossom like the lily.


It is so easy to find reasons not to seek God’s mercy. It sounds ludicrous – because it is! – but I do it anyway. I make excuses for what I have done. I have my explanations and my alibis. “I couldn’t help it; it wasn’t my fault; I didn’t mean to; I had no choice; the devil made me do it….” 


Or, “But look at all the good I’ve done! Look at the sacrifices I’ve made. Look at how those people deserve worse than me and you’re not punishing them! Look at the red lights I didn’t run and the laws I didn't break!”


That noise is not only distracting, it is unnecessary. God really is not listening.


I’m holding up a 25-watt bulb in broad daylight and trying to show God how bright I am! Distracted by my feeble light, I cannot see God’s splendor pouring all over me, revealing his tender affection for me. I’m looking at my own pathetic attempts to act justly and mercifully and failing to see the gorgeous beauty within and around me.


Finally, in penance, God will say, “Oh hush!” and I will fall silent.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.