Monday, July 26, 2010

Memorial of Saint Joachim and Saint Anne, parents of the Blessed Virgin Mary


For, as close as the loincloth clings to a man's loins,
so had I made the whole house of Israel
and the whole house of Judah cling to me, says the Lord;
to be my people, my renown, my praise, my beauty.

Few in the church today might think of our Holy Mother Church as God’s underwear. But we can allow Jeremiah the distance of a different climate, geography, culture and twenty-six centuries; and try to understand what he is saying.
First we hear that God’s people – think Church – is so dear and beloved and close to God, that we cling to God to intensely, we are like intimate apparel.
We enjoy an extraordinary relationship with God. Chastened by our own history and intimidated by the ideology of multiculturalism, Christians might hesitate to ponder that mystery. I might ask myself “Why should I be so special?” as I hear others demand, “Who do you think you are? God’s gift to mankind?”
But it is impossible to discover one’s true identity, one’s own “name,” without acknowledging “The Lord has called me by name.” We have the prophet Jeremiah to thank for that awareness. He experienced his individuality as blessing and as curse, as a singular privilege and a terrible burden.
Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I dedicated you, a prophet to the nations I appointed you. (Jeremiah 1: 5)
Likewise, a church – parochial, diocesan or universal – cannot describe its mission without claiming a blessing that belongs uniquely to itself. Failing that, it fails altogether.

Secondly, the loincloth Jeremiah describes was apparently not covered by outerwear, as we cover our underwear; so a person might sport a pretty fashionable loincloth and draw the admiring attention of the crowd. Today, if anyone flaunts his or her pretty underwear, he or she had better be three years old or younger.
Once again acknowledging the distance of time and culture, we hear that God wants his loincloth --his Church -- to be so beautiful that we are his renown, praise and beauty.
How do we do that? It’s not so difficult. We begin by considering the beauty and goodness and wonder and joy and loveliness of God. As Saint Francis said, “You are good, all good, supreme good.” Secondly, we consider our own sins. When I “do my own inventory,” as they say in 12-step meetings, I can only consider how richly God has blessed me and how often I have proven myself unworthy of such love. I am hardly worthy to be a member of this church; and if I belong to this church it is not for their salvation but for mine.
If anyone happens to see the renown, praise, and beauty of God in me or my church, I know it is nothing I contrived. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.