Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Memorial of Saint John Vianney


With age-old love I have loved you;
so I have kept my mercy toward you.
Again I will restore you, and you shall be rebuilt,
O virgin Israel;
Carrying your festive tambourines,
you shall go forth dancing with the merrymakers.
Again you shall plant vineyards
on the mountains of Samaria;
those who plant them shall enjoy the fruits.

In a culture which both idealizes and despises virginity, and defines it in the narrowest possible fashion, I am fascinated by the promise of virginity restored. By most definitions, not even God can do that.
But that is precisely what the Prophet Jeremiah promises as the refugees of destroyed and deserted Jerusalem flee into the desert. His evocation of festive tambourines, dancing, and merrymakers might sound like a bitter satire under the circumstances, the ranting of a madman. But the exiles honored him as a prophet despite his youth, his reputation for dreadful predictions and their dire predicament. A glorious future of fruitful orchards, fat livestock and security within a new Jerusalem seemed as likely as restored virginity.

The Christian dispensation sees the fulfillment of his prophecy in Mary’s pregnancy. She is a virgin, yet she is a mother. She is born of a pariah race in a violently sinful world yet she is wholly innocent. Where everyone suffers under the burden of Original Sin, God finds her worthy to be the Mother of the Son of God. Because she receives the unearned gift so graciously, she becomes a promise to the earth.

In our own time we should pray for the gift of restored virginity. Many men and women were robbed of their innocence as children by parents, siblings and relatives. Some were abused by priests, teachers and youth leaders. Thousands have been ruthlessly exploited by the sex industry. Many have died as slaves, far from their homes and the reassurances of any religion – even as law-abiding citizens, who should know better, made wisecracks about their plight.

Through prayer and sacraments, therapy and healing many women and men discover their beauty and innocence in the sight of God. Families, churches and nations can also expect restored virtue by the grace of God. Not for nothing do Baptism wash away all sin and the Sacrament of Reconciliation restore our integrity. It is not an easy process; it may take years. But God has promised and he will do it!

For thus says the Lord: Just as I brought upon this people all this great evil, so I will bring upon them all the good I promise them. Jeremiah 32: 42

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.