Thursday, September 30, 2010

Memorial of Saint Jerome


Winter at MSF

But as for me, I know that my Vindicator lives,
and that he will at last stand forth upon the dust;
Whom I myself shall see:
my own eyes, not another's, shall behold him,
And from my flesh I shall see God;
my inmost being is consumed with longing.

Belief in eternal life for the individual soul arose slowly in human history. It was not taken for granted, as many do today, that everyone will pass into eternity and “live happily ever after” in heaven or the happy hunting ground or anywhere else.
Ancient religions of the near east, in particular, saw the human being as rather helpless before the gods. They might, in their better moments, give a moment’s notice to human need. But people often assumed the gods were busily taking care of themselves, indulging in their own pleasures, and trying to win favor from the higher gods. Why would a divine entity that has everything he wants (but always wants more) bother with the poor wretches who toil on earth? What do we have to offer such personages? To the ancients, eternal life with these arrogant characters didn’t even look attractive!
But the Jews, under the direct impact of Revelation from the only God who truly exists, after long experience with this compassionate and caring God, came to believe He cared for all of them and each one of them. He would even take them one by one into eternity.
Today’s reading from the Book of Job seems to mark a moment in the development of that doctrine.
Job complains about the punishments which have fallen upon him. He even has the temerity to demand a hearing in God’s presence. His suffering has disturbed his belief in a caring, compassionate God and so he demands that God explain himself and justify what He has done to Job.
In today’s reading, when he speaks of a “vindicator,” he is speaking of an advocate or a lawyer who will speak for him before the Supreme High Judge. As ancient societies became more complex and law codes were developed to manage large numbers of people, maligned individuals needed lawyers to speak for them before the magistrates.
Job declares he will not be satisfied with the promise that someday his name and reputation will be vindicated. He wants to see and expects to see his Vindicator; and finally he will hear the decree of vindication.
Given that many defenseless and innocent people suffer horrible injustice and die under those circumstances, we have to stand with Job, waiting for God’s reply. “Well? What do you say to him?”
Our faith in Jesus Christ replies in two ways. “Yes, there is an eternal life, a life beyond the grave, when this world’s injustice will be corrected.” and “Yes, your vindicator is God the Son of God, someone far greater than you could deserve or expect. He not only stands with you in your helpless innocence; he stands with you in your guilt. He does not accuse you before the throne of God but he claims you as his own beloved.”
Job’s final remark is mine and yours, “My inmost being is consumed with longing” for the coming of the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.