Monday, September 13, 2010

Memorial of Saint John Chrysostom


Puppy @ the picnic


In giving this instruction, I do not praise the fact
that your meetings are doing more harm than good.
First of all, I hear that when you meet as a Church
there are divisions among you,
and to a degree I believe it;
there have to be factions among you
in order that also those who are approved among you
may become known.

Bishop Tim Dolan recently said, “I am very familiar with sin in the church; I am a church historian.” If anyone thinks there might have been some good old days when the Church was pure and innocent, he should only read church history or the Bible. My mother told me how, when she was a girl, the school children would play in the church parking lot until the priest came out. Suddenly “Sister” rang the bell and all the children filed back into class, even if they’d only been outside for a few minutes. The priest was drunk and sister knew it. There was nothing to be done but pull the children out of harm’s way.
In today’s first reading, it seems the weekly Mass in Corinth was so badly celebrated it did “more harm than good.” Those early Masses resembled actual meals, with the rich feasting on the fine foods they’d brought, while the poor fasted on crumbs. Surrendering to human failings, Paul told them to eat at home and celebrate the Mass with nothing more than the essential elements we use today, a small piece of bread and tiny sip of wine.
But Saint Paul also noticed that factionalism might do some good. As parties explore various ideas and propose them to their political communities, factions help the church discover what we truly believe. Blessed John Cardinal Neumann would explain this principle to the modern church nineteen centuries later, during the infallibility controversy. In the twentieth century we have developed greater respect for diversity in the church and our nation. We’ve become less inclined to burn heretics and more ready to hear what they have to say.
Saint Paul goes on to present some preliminary teaching on the Eucharist. It took the Catholic Church over a thousand years to “define” the doctrine of the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist; and the mystery still demands silence, contemplation and deep thought. Anyone who thinks he knows what it is should say nothing, lest he make a fool of himself.
One time a woman asked me how the Church explains this mystery and I gave her my understanding of Saint Thomas Aquinas’ teaching.
“Oh,” she said, “That makes sense.”
“It does?” I asked.
But I am sure of this. I have no right to preside at the Eucharist. It is a grave responsibility God has given me. Nor can anyone claim the right to receive the Eucharist. It is a gift – beautiful, sublime, mysterious, healing and delicious -- which we dare not refuse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.