Friday, December 3, 2010

Memorial of Saint Francis Xavier, priest


Above the tabernacle
in St Mary's, New Albany

The Lord is my light and my salvation. 

Today’s responsorial psalm, the 27th, begins in that extraordinary word my. The Lord is my light and my salvation….  Surely, if I can describe God as mine, then the opposite is true, God will describe me as mine -- I am his! The days when I thought of myself as my own man are long over. I may have some romantic notions but Invictus is not one of them:
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
                        William Ernest Henley

No thanks! That romantic stoicism, that Lone Ranger idealism is for the birds. Not for me Satan’s proud boast, “Better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven.”

I know how vulnerable I am to distraction, disturbance and seduction. Daily I pray, “Lead us not into temptation” because I am frail. Although prayer is my favorite thing to do, sin is my second most favorite!

The spirit of Psalm 27 is nothing like Invictus:
The Lord is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?
The Lord is my life’s refuge;
 of whom should I be afraid?
One thing I ask of the Lord;
this I seek:
To dwell in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life,
That I may gaze on the loveliness of the Lord
and contemplate his temple.

As we approach the mystery and tender beauty of Christmas, we should meditate on that “House of the Lord.” Jesus invited us to "come and see" and we follow him eagerly. Habitually we hide with him in the stable in Bethlehem, the refugee camp in Egypt, the home in Nazareth and the Cenacle in Jerusalem. They are earthly places of heavenly peace and there we shall gaze on the loveliness of the Lord for years to come

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.