Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thursday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time


Brothers and sisters:


Orchid
You have not approached that which could be touched
and a blazing fire and gloomy darkness
and storm and a trumpet blast
and a voice speaking words such that those who heard
begged that no message be further addressed to them.
Indeed, so fearful was the spectacle that Moses said,
“I am terrified and trembling.”
No, you have approached Mount Zion
and the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem,
and countless angels in festal gathering,
and the assembly of the firstborn enrolled in heaven,
and God the judge of all,
and the spirits of the just made perfect,
and Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant,
and the sprinkled Blood that speaks more eloquently
than that of Abel.

Every time I come to this passage from Hebrews I find it more comforting than the last time I read it.
The Author of Hebrews first reminds his listeners of that terrifying theophany found in Exodus 19: 16 and following. The people of Israel were certainly impressed with the authority, power and majesty of God, and must have been grateful for his condescension, that he would reveal himself on the holy mountain. But they were also frightened out of their wits.

The experience of Jesus is not entirely different, but Hebrews wants to assure us it is different enough. We can approach Jesus and the Church he has founded without fear. Our God has become an approachable man. In fact, he has become a helpless baby, one whom we might pick up and cuddle in our arms. He has become a friendly child in the neighborhood who is always available to help the elderly carry out the garbage or bring in the mail. He has become a charming young man, open to the wisdom of his elders and eager to hear their stories, when he is not umpiring children’s baseball games. He has become a healer and preacher who doles out the beautiful word of God as generously as he restores sight to the blind and hearing to the deaf. He has become a champion of the poor and disenfranchised who will challenge religious and civil authorities on their behalf. He has become the most despised of all people; he bears our guilt and wears our shame.

When I say, “the experience of Jesus is not entirely different” I remember that many people find Jesus’ approachability frightening. For whatever reason they back away from his friendliness. How many times have I emptied a patient’s room of his family and friends when I offered to pray with him? Some people flee from prayer; I don’t know why. I am sure each has his reasons and none of them are rational. Fear usually isn’t rational. But I respect their fear for I too have rushed into hiding from the presence of God.  

It is good to sit with Hebrews 12:18-24 and hear it again and again. It is good to contemplate that Holy City in which God lives with his saints -- and you and me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.