Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thursday of the Seventh Week in Ordinary Time



The promise of springtime at MSF
Rely not on your wealth;
say not: “I have the power.”
Rely not on your strength
in following the desires of your heart.

As I hear the chilling words of Jesus:
“Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, 
it would be better for him if a great millstone
were put around his neck
and he were thrown into the sea.
I remember again the torment the Church has been through during the last several years -- a scandal that first appeared in the United States but has since erupted in many African and European countries.
Psychiatrists, counselors and spiritual directors who have worked closely with both victims and perpetrators tell us the crime was not driven by sexual desire but by the lust for power.
In response to the controversy bishops, priests, deacons, lay ministers of every sort, religious sisters and brothers have attended workshops and read articles and books about the abuse of power.
In many cases the perpetrator was not aware of his power; in fact he felt powerless. He felt victimized, ignored and isolated. That apparent isolation permitted him to suppose he could deny, disguise or hide his crimes. Even when he was exposed he continued to see himself as a victim; he often called upon his friends and admirers to support him in his “martyrdom.”  

Saint Francis set out to strip himself of all power that is accumulates with money. But he soon found he had to go further, renouncing the power of piety and popularity and success. At first he refused to permit his friars to study because he feared the power of knowledge. He was kind to many people but he never considered anyone owed him any kindness in return. He would not engage in the barter of favors; i.e. you scratch my back; and I’ll scratch yours.
When authority was forced upon him he suffered enormously. When it was taken from him he felt both the disappointment of failure and the relief of being once again under authority.
Saint Francis pursuit of poverty is far more difficult than most people imagine. If you think it is difficult to “stay ahead of the Jones” try being the poorest person in the city. There is always someone worse off than you and, try as you will, you really cannot go there!

But poverty is precisely that path the minister of the gospel must pursue, whether as priest, bishop, parent or teacher. If we have authority it is a heavy and grave responsibility. Though it may have its pleasures it should have no perquisites.
Some of us have categorically denied the problem of pedophilia was systemic. They believed and hoped it was the aberration of only a few. I am inclined to think the opposite; it is systemic wherever one person has authority or power over another and fails to submit to the authority of Jesus Christ. Everyone has some power; our sin is to want more. Our temptation is to take it where we find it.
The temptation to power is as subtle as the tone of one’s voice or the secondary meaning of one’s words: “You’re not wearing that shirt, are you?”
Reform of the Church begins with the awareness of one’s own lust for power. Dear God, save the children from people like me. Teach me to be like Saint Theresa of Lisieux , content to be the smallest flower in your garden of peace. Teach me Lord to:
Rely not on my wealth;
nor to say: “I have the power.”
I must not rely on my strength in following the desires of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.