Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tuesday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Bubbles
Since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses,
let us rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to us
and persevere in running the race that lies before us
while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus,
the leader and perfecter of faith. 

If the church I grew up in was acutely aware of sin, its proximity and its threat, the church I have come to know is grateful for its great cloud of witnesses.
A Veteran asked me recently about sin. This old fellow is slowly dying and has little energy for mischief. He relies on his family for help in the slightest chores. After our many conversations, I could examine his conscience and tell him all the ways I think he is unsatisfactory. But I am sure that would do neither of us any good, nor would it serve God’s purposes. As his chaplain I prefer to honor the patient and say, “You don’t have to change for me. You are perfectly fine by me.”
But I also appreciate the Veteran’s dilemma. He was told almost a century ago that “The good man falls seven times a day.” But he doesn’t even miss his daily prayers!
In this passage from Hebrews I hear the exhortation to keep running the race and keep our eyes fixed on Jesus. I think our Author might say to my patient, “Avoid sin, but don’t worry about it either.”
We must continue making the effort. That seems to be very important. But the effort should be neither harsh nor violent. Rather, it is eager and attentive. It is grateful for the cloud of witnesses, the Church who supports our every effort. And it thanks God because Jesus perfects – that is, he completes, fulfills and finishes -- every sacrifice we make.
I learned years ago that if I start the rosary upon going to bed and fall asleep, the angels will finish it for me. That folk lore expresses the same kind of trust in Jesus who perfects our faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.