Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tuesday of the Eighth Week in Ordinary Time


In a generous spirit pay homage to the Lord,
be not sparing of freewill gifts.
With each contribution show a cheerful countenance,
and pay your tithes in a spirit of joy.
Give to the Most High as he has given to you,
generously, according to your means. Sirach 35: 7-9

And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3: 17

The story is told of two monks who ventured a long way into town to purchase supplies for the monastery. Just before entering the walled city they agreed to meet under a nearby tree as soon as they finished their chores.
An hour later the first monk returned and took his place under the tree. As he waited and the day grew long he recited his prayers, the psalms he had learned upon entering religious life. He partook of a small supper and then recited his rosary. As the sun was setting he lay down and slept peacefully through the night.
Finally, late in the morning, his companion joined him. But he said, “I cannot go back to the monastery with you. As I was in the city I ran into some old friends and returned to my old way of life. I spent the night carousing and drinking and I am ashamed to return.”
But the patient monk replied, “My friend, I got back here only a few minutes ago. I too spent the night carousing. But let’s go back anyway. The abbot is hard man; he will punish us severely. But he is a fair man too and when we have finished our penance, he will forgive us.”
With that the two of them returned to their appointed way of life.

It seems the Christian can never be satisfied with “good enough” when she sets out to serve God. We must go the extra mile and do it with a generous spirit. That requires a certain amount of raw courage as we dig deeper into our resources. But it is there we find our joy. Fulfilling one’s duties has its own satisfaction, but performing them with enthusiasm taps into hidden, unexpected wellsprings of pleasure.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.