Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wednesday of the Second Week of Lent


Creek in Iroquois Park

Can you drink the chalice that I am going to drink?”
They said to him, “We can.”
He replied, “My chalice you will indeed drink….”

People often dispute over which religion is the best. In defense of Christianity I would ask, “Which religion promises disappointment, failure and persecution to its most faithful adherents?” That might cause the Christian side of the argument to withdraw into thoughtful silence. Is that what I want from my religion? Clearly the sons of Zebedee and their importunate mother had something else in mind. Nor had Jeremiah volunteered for the heartbreak he found in service to the Lord.
Athletes and soldiers train for struggle and hardship. They expect the approaching contest to test their capabilities even to the limits of endurance. But they also expect to win. Christians don’t. We train with the same resolve knowing there will be no victory worthy of the name before the Kingdom of God appears.
There will, of course, be satisfactions along the way. Our good God will provide them as he knows we need them. Human beings, we cannot survive without food, drink, breath, rest, friendship, love and occasional pleasure. When pleasure comes from our God we should not spurn it. But we don’t live for pleasure; our only deep satisfaction is doing God’s will.
Lent offers the opportunity to reexamine our attitudes about life and faith. What do I want? What do I  expect? Today’s scriptures challenge our natural preference for ease and comfort in this world. They remind us:
Bridge in Iroquois Park
…my trust is in you, O Lord;
I say, “You are my God.”
In your hands is my destiny; rescue me

from the clutches of my enemies and my persecutors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.