Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Wednesday of the Third Week of Lent


Lake shore trail
Now, Israel, hear the statutes and decrees
which I am teaching you to observe,
that you may live, and may enter in and take possession of the land 
which the Lord, the God of your fathers, is giving you. 

The Christian who reflects on Saint Paul’s teachings about the law, faith and justification should first ponder Psalm 119, for instance, before reaching any conclusions about the Law. Psalm 119 is by far the longest of the psalms; and every verse is an expression of profound gratitude for God’s laws, statutes, ordinances, commands, teachings, decrees and so forth. There are more synonyms for the law than you might think possible!
The devout Jew loves the law because God has given it. It is his pride and joy, his delight and comfort, his reassurance and challenge. The law is God’s “rod and staff by which you give me comfort.”
And then the pondering Christian should hear today’s gospel,
Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets.
I have come not to abolish but to fulfill.
The Christian who thinks she can step beyond the moral law has submitted to Satan’s rod. The priest who thinks he can disregard even the liturgical laws of the church has wandered into the wonderful land of ego, and his congregation will suffer. I know; I speak from experience.
I’ve learned to ponder the sacraments, the scriptures, and the moral teachings of the church to find the wisdom of God. Even when I disagree with authority it’s better to obey. My own brilliant innovations can only cause pointless confusion. I’m just not that important!
As we navigate this world we’re going to meet a lot of confused, misdirected people who seem freer and happier than we are. They march to different drummers than God ever appointed. Stand back, let them fall, don’t let them take you down with them. Be there when they want to get up again, and be grateful for the wisdom you learned from God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.