Monday, May 16, 2011

Monday of the Fourth Week of Easter


Morning in the woods
This is why the Father loves me,
because I lay down my life in order to take it up again.
No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own.
I have power to lay it down, and power to take it up again.
This command I have received from my Father.”

The celebration of Easter, if it means nothing else to us, should remind us again and again of God’s free gift of grace. The word grace means free, as in freely given. Theologically, spiritually and psychologically we have such a hard time grasping this foundational doctrine. We fear it for it seems to mean that our own decisions mean nothing; and some will suggest “Once saved, always saved!” as if our salvation is guaranteed despite our sometimes heinous crimes. “If Adolph Hitler and Joseph Stalin and Osama bin Laden are all saved, why should I even worry about it?”
Those conclusions miss the point because they fail to appreciate the gift. They are still asking, “What’s in it for me?”
First we must contemplate Jesus’ statements, “I lay down my life;” “I lay it down on my own;” and “I have power to lay it down.” The initiative is entirely Jesus’. He went to Jerusalem fully aware of what would happen there. Pontius Pilate represents the new Pharaoh in this story; there is nothing he can do to stop or delay or alter the plans God has made. The “Jews” represent the reaction of all humankind against the purity, innocence and goodness of Jesus. His killing appears to be an irrepressible, visceral reaction to God’s presence among us; and yet the gospels underline Jesus’ intentionality.
As John tells the story, Jesus asked the arresting crowd, “Whom do you seek?” When they replied, “Jesus of Nazareth” and he said, “I am he!” they fell to the ground. They could not move until he permitted them to advance upon him.
What should be our reaction to grace? Not arrogance but gratitude; not intemperance, but obedience; not indifference but eagerness to
…comprehend with all the holy ones what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Ephesians 3:18-19

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.