Friday, July 1, 2011

Solemnity of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus


Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light."


A Google search of images will reveal 924,000 images of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (plus a few images of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.) The Sacred Heart may seem old fashioned and pass̩, but it still fascinates us because we still need reassurance and consolation. The last few centuries have been hard on us and the comforts of large scale celebrations Рwhether in church or government or the sports arena Рdo not satisfy the forlorn.
It is good that a pope’s funeral can draw a million people, and a billion people will watch a royal wedding; but these spectacles do little to comfort those who suffer chronic illness, family disruption or financial insolvency. Scratch the surface of those humongous crowds and you’ll find a lot of unhappy people in this world.
We need Jesus to come to us behind the closed doors of our prayer and speak to us in solitude. We must take shelter in the cloister of his heart. There we gaze into his eyes and feel personally known by the Majesty of God.
When Evangelical Christians ask, “Have you found Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior?” the Catholic can respond, “I live in the Sacred Heart of Jesus.” The experience is the same, insofar as two persons with different spiritualities can have the same experience. 
There are many caves and caverns in Israel. In biblical times, when an invading army marched through, burning homes and farms, killing livestock and people, the natives fled to the hills until the scourge had passed. The invading force, whether ancient Egyptian or modern American, can never subdue a region pitted with so many sanctuaries.
Christians find their refuge in the Sacred Heart of Jesus. We enter through the sacred wound in his side, following the familiar sound of his human heart. In that deep cavern, far from the troubled world, there is comfort, strength, courage and silent communion.

Most holy Heart of Jesus, fountain of every blessing, I love You. With a lively sorrow for my sins I offer You this poor heart of mine. Make me humble, patient, and pure, and perfectly obedient to Your Will.
Good Jesus, grant that I may live in You and for You. Protect me in the midst of danger and comfort me in my afflictions. Bestow on me health of body, assistance in temporal needs, Your blessing on all that I do, and the grace of a holy death. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.