Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross

Friends gather at the Picnic
A new prayer for Jesus


Saint Francis of Assisi drew great inspiration from Saint Paul’s song of Jesus Christ found in today’s second reading. It describes the total self-emptying of Jesus in love to God the Father. Helplessly bound with his hands and feet stretched to the limits of the wood; suspended naked before the taunting mobs and silent God; shedding the last drop of his blood and exhaling his last breath: the man had nothing left to give except his pain. Surrendering even that to God, he died.
This is how the most foolish saint of all time wanted to live and die. Peering through the horror of Jesus’ cross as none ever had, Francis saw the glory of God.
Some years ago I began to recite this song often, but I’ve rewritten it as a prayer:
Though you were in the form of God,
you did not regard equality with God something to be grasped.
Rather, you emptied yourself,
taking the form of a slave,
coming in human likeness;
and found human in appearance,
you humbled yourself,
becoming obedient to death,
even death on a cross.
Because of this, God greatly exalted you
and bestowed on you the name
that is above every name,
that at your name of Jesus
every knee should bend
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that
Jesus Christ is Lord
to the glory of God the Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.