Friday, October 21, 2011

Friday of the Twenty-Ninth Week in Ordinary Time

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/102111.cfm

Sr. Agnes Marie and Father Ken
before Montnomah Falls,
Oregon
For I take delight in the law of God, in my inner self,
but I see in my members another principle
at war with the law of my mind,
taking me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members.

Today’s reading from Saint Paul’s Letter to the Romans may be the most often quoted passage in his letter, and is certainly the most poignant. It is hard to say whether he is speaking entirely of his own personal experience, or is generalizing from his experience to that of all people. But most of us complain of the same experience. The good I would, I do not; the evil I would not, I do.
The most encouraging word for me in this passage is, “I take delight in the law of God in my inner self…” Something in me echoes, “This is true.” As a Pharisee, Saint Paul took special joy in hearing and reflecting on the Law of God, as Jews do to this day. Despite his disappointment in himself, just hearing the words of scripture caused him to smile with pleasure.
Christians have the same experience as we enter a church, sing a hymn, pause before a sacred image or recite a prayer. Attending the liturgy fills us with joy. We find daily sustenance in the word of God. The obligations of daily prayer, especially as they’re satisfied by Mass and the Liturgy of the Hours, feel more like privileges of the elect than duties for the oppressed.
I complained once to my spiritual director about my habits of sin and I wondered if my piety were part of the problem. Does one feed off the other? Would my anxiety be relieved if I quit praying so hard? There are so many people who seem to have no anxiety about their sinful habits; should I try to join them? 
He told me, “Don’t stop praying.” 
I never have, for I take delight in the law of God in my inner self.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.