Monday, October 17, 2011

Memorial of Saint Ignatius of Antioch, bishop and martyr

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/101711.cfm


"Take care to guard against all greed,
for though one may be rich,
one's life does not consist of possessions."



Visiting Portland Oregon on Thursday, October 6; and Seattle Washington on October 9, and Victoria, BC on October 13 I witnessed three "Occupy" demonstrations. I didn't realize until then the movement has gone international.
I have some sympathy for the Occupy movement but, I can't help believing they would bar the door after the horse has escaped. While the world worried about terrorists, who posed no real threat to our way of life, certain other criminals -- who could do infinitely more damage to the common welfare -- made off with the goods. 
But even yet too many people admire wealth and luxury to actually challenge the system. I was there among the protesters of the 1960's, I saw greed in our rage for rock music and LP-stereo records. If we're angry at bankers and Wall Street traders, it's because they got rich and we didn't. That kind of anger does not want or demand justice. The Lord will say to us what he said to the litigant in today's gospel, "Who has made me your judge and arbitor?"
Justice, and its handmaiden Peace, will come when we disavow security, divest ourselves of wealth, and seek justice for the least among us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.