Monday, November 28, 2011

Monday of the First Week of Advent


http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/112811.cfm

A lion shaped of vines and leaves
eyes visitors to the Butchart Gardens,
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada


The centurion said in reply,
"Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof;
only say the word and my servant will be healed.



As of yesterday this verse from Saint Matthew's Gospel has taken new meaning for the English speaking world. If, when we declared our unworthiness moments before receiving the Blessed Sacrament during the Mass, the allusion  was not obvious, it should be now.
Some might wonder, as they recite the prayer, if we're referring to the roof of our mouths, that mysterious area of rippled, bony plate. But the well-informed can assure them it refers to Matthew 8:8; and to the centurion who begged for Jesus' mercy.

As we enter this Advent Season -- a full 28-days! It doesn't get any better than that! -- we remember our unworthiness. This is a mysterious dilemma, somehow disappointing and painful, which we should  treasure.  No one can consider herself worthy to entertain the Lord of the Universe. Catholics routinely avow our guilt as we confess our sins to a priest. Reconciled by the sacrament we walk away grateful for the God who wants to occupy our lives despite our avowed unworthiness.
In today's story we discover Jesus' amazement and delight upon hearing the centurion's declaration:

"Amen, I say to you, in no one in Israel have I found such faith.
The Sacraments of Eucharist and Reconciliation assure us of that unexpected reception. Instead of Jesus' withdrawing, saying, "You're right; I really should not approach your house or have any dealings with you." he expresses his joy and promises mercy for all the gentile nations:
I say to you, many will come from the east and the west,
and will recline with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob
at the banquet in the Kingdom of heaven."
He has thrown the doors of his banqueting house open to all the earth and encouraged us to enter. During this Advent season we pray that we might advance on that road of worthiness. We don't expect to attain it but we will pursue it nonetheless, praying that God will give us the gift that forever eludes our grasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.