Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Memorial of Saint Ambrose, bishop and doctor of the Church



He does not faint nor grow weary,
and his knowledge is beyond scrutiny.
He gives strength to the fainting;
for the weak he makes vigor abound.
Though young men faint and grow weary,
and youths stagger and fall,
They that hope in the LORD will renew their strength,
they will soar as with eagles' wings;
They will run and not grow weary,
walk and not grow faint.


I Kings 19 and Jonah 4 tell the stories of two weary prophets who declare they’ve had enough, they’re bone tired, and they’re quitting. Elijah declares: It is enough; now, O Lord, take away my life, for I am no better than my ancestors.’ 5Then he lay down under the broom tree and fell asleep. And Jonah complains: “…now, O Lord, please take my life from me, for it is better for me to die than to live.”

In the first story an angel revives Elijah with food and drink and sends him on a forty day walking journey to Mount Horeb. Jonah received only a lecture for all his complaining.
What the Lord does not offer in either story, nor in the above passage from Isaiah, is a comfortable bed on a Caribbean island. He does not whisk the prophets away from their troubles to reward them with peeled grapes and paté. Rather, he strengthens them for more work. 
(There is a comical story in the Iliad: Paris, who started all the trouble when he eloped with Helen, has been challenged to a duel by her husband Menelaus. Just as they meet on the field his patron deity whisks him away to Helen’s boudoir, much to the disgust of his heroic, manly brother Hector, who has just parted from his grieving, faithful wife and loving child.) 
As tempting as a cushy vacation might be, it is not for God’s heroes.

Nor does Jesus promise an easy life. He promises rather to burden us with a lighter yoke than the ones we habitually make for ourselves; and then to strengthen us with Bread from Heaven. We exhaust ourselves trying to placate the expectations of others and our inner demons. We wear ourselves out doing things our way, the hard way, without waiting on God’s spirit to direct us. We break our backs trying to save and justify ourselves when all we need is faith. Jesus’ way is easier and, finally, more restful:
Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light."

So what do you expect? Will your Christmas be restful or exhausting?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.