Saturday, December 24, 2011

Saturday of the Fourth Week of Advent



The LORD also reveals to you
that he will establish a house for you.
And when your time comes and you rest with your ancestors,
I will raise up your heir after you, sprung from your loins,
and I will make his Kingdom firm.
I will be a father to him,
and he shall be a son to me.
Your house and your Kingdom shall endure forever before me;
your throne shall stand firm forever.

Christians like to echo the confident Jewish trope, “The Word of the Lord endures forever.” I once heard a rabbi explain the kosher rules. They are based in part on Deuteronomy 14:21, “You shall not boil a young goat in its mother’s milk.” I suppose the rabbis have some historical explanation for the rule but that would be irrelevant beside the fact that it is God’s law. It must be obeyed.
But what if you live in a place where there are no goats? Can you ignore the law as irrelevant to your situation? Of course not! You must find a way to observe the law because God’s law is life and joy! It is our privilege and pleasure to live by his every statute, ordinance and command. And so the rabbis developed kosher laws. For instance, many Jews never cook meat in the same pan in which they have cooked milk.
This is not scrupulosity; it’s a way to show reverence to God’s word under all circumstances, precisely because “The Word of the Lord endures forever.” If it endures forever it obviously must be observed in every place, circumstance and time.

As Christmas arrives this evening, we hear this morning of God’s promise to King David, “…your kingdom shall endure forever before me.” This too is an eternal word, a promise that cannot fail to be fulfilled.
But some might argue, the kingdom of David was flattened by the Babylonian conquests in 597 and 586 BC. Though it had survived four hundred years since the death of David – a very long time by most standards! – forever is much longer. Is it possible that God’s word ran its course and expired in the sixth century BC?

Christians see God’s word fulfilled and the promise satisfied in the rule of Jesus Christ. By his resurrection and ascension to God’s right hand he has taken his seat upon the throne of David his father. 

Because God has fulfilled his promise to David in Jesus in such a way -- beyond all reasonable expectations and infinitely above anything we deserve -- we trust God's promises: he will forgive our sins and vindicate our virtue; he will call each of us by name from our graves just as he called Lazarus; he will raise us up to eternal bliss and gather us with Mary and all the saints to rejoice in his presence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.