Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Wednesday of the Fourth Week of Advent

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/122111.cfm


Hark! my lover--here he comes
springing across the mountains,
leaping across the hills.
My lover is like a gazelle
or a young stag.
Here he stands behind our wall,
gazing through the windows,
peering through the lattices.
My lover speaks; he says to me,
"Arise, my beloved, my dove, my beautiful one,
and come!



It is always risky to introduce the topic of eroticism to religious  people. Eros is too hard to manage, too destructive, and often downright terrifying. Some of us have had really bad experience with it, leaving only memories of shame and regret. Besides that, many religious people have outgrown and lost interest in their erotic impulse a long time ago. If it is still there it's usually overcome by weariness and blessed sleep. 
But religion is not only for old people; some young people show occasional interests and they might be fascinated to learn of God's erotic interest in us. 
I might add that Christmas is not entirely a children's celebration. If the yuletide ads for furs, jewelry and perfume mean anything, they indicate a lot of people have an erotic interest in Christmas. That extravagant gifts might lead to the conception of children seems of secondary interest to both consumers and merchants. 


The appearance of today's first reading from the Song of Songs during this high holy season indicates the Roman Church has not entirely lost its fascination with the erotic traditions in our Bible. We often hear God described as the passionate, jealous lover of  Jerusalem, and Jerusalem as the disinterested paramour with severe ADHD. The prophets describe God as provoked beyond all reasonable bounds by Jerusalem's adulterous behavior. We hear of his desperate intentions to lead her into the desert, to strip  her of the gifts he has given her, to abandon her to the barbarous nations, to starve her into submission, and so forth. And yet, the prophets insist, he cannot abandon her. His love is too great; his word, too strong. 
Occasionally, we also hear of her readiness  to turn back to God and welcome his embrace. 


And then there are the sensuous verses of the Song  of Songs when the lovers seek and find one another.  They seem like children playing games of  hide and seek, but with adult emotions of excitement, arousal and dreamy languor. 


The Spirit of Christmas is steeped in the eroticism of  ancient, passionate memories of God. The Virgin Jerusalem is as desirable as ever; the Immaculate Heart of Mary still beckons, and the Church still prays with intense fervor for a consummate bliss beyond all description. 

1 comment:

  1. To be interested in God with erotic passion scares away most religious people. But I would agree that it is yet another expression and understanding of how deeply and completely God loves us all.

    I want to live fully and completely.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.