Monday, January 9, 2012

The Feast of the Baptism of the Lord

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/010912.cfm


Some trees keep their greenery
until Spring
Here is my servant whom I uphold,
my chosen one with whom I am pleased,
upon whom I have put my spirit;
he shall bring forth justice to the nations,
not crying out, not shouting,
not making his voice heard in the street.
a bruised reed he shall not break,
and a smoldering wick he shall not quench,
until he establishes justice on the earth;
the coastlands will wait for his teaching.



I once announced to the congregation that the Church instituted this feast day to celebrate the adult ministry of Jesus Christ and, hence, the adult responsibility of every Christian. My dear friend Father Camillus challenged me on that, "Where did you get that idea?" 
"I made it up." I calmly replied. He roared with laughter at my presumption. It makes sense to me. Someone has written in Wikipedia:
The Baptism of the Lord is observed as a distinct feast in the Roman rite, although it was originally one of three Gospel events marked by the feast of the Epiphany. Long after the visit of the Magi had in the West overshadowed the other elements commemorated in the EpiphanyPope Pius XII instituted in 1955 a separate liturgical commemoration of the Baptism. 
In his revision of the calendar five years later, Pope John XXIII kept on 13 January the "Commemoration of the Baptism of our Lord Jesus Christ", with the rank of a second-class feast.
A mere 14 years after the institution of the feast, Pope Paul VI set its date as the first Sunday after 6 January or, if in a particular country the Epiphany is celebrated on 7 or 8 January, on the following Monday.
Pope John Paul II initiated a custom whereby on this feast the Pope baptizes babies in the Sistine Chapel.
The feast marks the end of the liturgical season of Christmastide. On the following day the season of ordinary time begins.
 
Personally, I would like to see the three festive events (Epiphany, Jesus' Baptism and Cana) alternated over a three year period and blended into our three-year cycle of Sunday readings; and the next time the Pope calls me I'll tell him so. In the meanwhile I'll follow our Roman calendar. 


Saint Mark's gospel is the only one that states so boldly: 
Jesus came from Nazareth of Galileeand was baptized in the Jordan by John.
Luke would direct our attention elsewhere:
After all the people had been baptized and Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, heaven was opened. 
And Matthew includes John's reluctance in baptizing the Sinless One: 
John tried to prevent him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and yet you are coming to me?” Jesus said to him in reply, “Allow it now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he allowed him.
Perhaps the Church also has been reluctant to recall Jesus' Baptism since John's baptism indicated one's repentance for sin, and Jesus was without sin. 


Other scriptures will explain the mystery more fully: Jesus took upon himself the guilt and shame and punishment for our sin when he was baptized in the Jordan. Even as his courageous humility purified the water and rendered it holy, he was contaminated with our sin. The Letter to the Hebrews explains:

For the one who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one Father. For this reason Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers and sisters, saying,
‘I will proclaim your name to my brothers and sisters,
in the midst of the congregation I will praise you.’
And again,
‘I will put my trust in him.’
And again,
‘Here am I and the children whom God has given me.’
Since, therefore, the children share flesh and blood, he himself likewise shared the same things, so that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by the fear of death. For it is clear that he did not come to help angels, but the descendants of Abraham.
 All four evangelists agree that God the Father of Jesus enthusiastically endorsed Jesus' decision: 
And a voice came from the heavens,"You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased."
I take great comfort in this thought. Like many people, I would hesitate to worship a man who is so clearly better than me, a man who is utterly without sin and unwilling to be contaminated by association with me. How could I embrace a man who distances himself from me? He would certainly not embrace this wretched sinner who continually returns to his sins as a dog returns to his vomit. (2 Peter 2:22)


But by his Baptism Jesus has taken his stand with us before God. He has abandoned the heavenly privileges of luxury, purity and innocence to be with people like you and me. He has won my heart by his search for me, a lost sheep, and by his wading into the thorny fen of my guilt. Come let us adore him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.