Thursday, January 26, 2012

Memorial of Saint Timothy and Saint Titus, bishops



I actually took this picture! 
For there is nothing hidden except to be made visible;
nothing is secret except to come to light.

The advent of the Internet, digital cameras, video recorders and Facebook admirably demonstrates the truth of Jesus’ teaching. The distinction between public and private, which seemed cast in iron in the mid-twentieth century, has dissolved; even as the same people who display their soiled linens in social networks for friends and relatives decry this unexpected development.
Police, teachers, parents, ministers and anyone who works even remotely with the public must carefully choose their every word, deed and facial expression – thoughts are still exempt – because someone nearby may be recording their behaviors.
This glare of exposure, which seemed to begin in Richard Nixon’s Oval Office, has served us well in many ways. Crimes which once went undetected and unpunished are now exposed and addressed; self-righteous persons who cloaked their mischief in robes of authority are stripped in public. Priests, bishops, Boy Scout leaders and football coaches must submit to penetrating examinations to preserve their reputations. Parents, relatives and neighbors must demonstrate their virtue if they would associate with children.
For there is nothing hidden except to be made visible;
nothing is secret except to come to light.

Before this Revelation– this Apocalypse of private information -- a thoughtful Christian might wring her hands and cry, “Isn’t it awful?” and “That’s not how it used to be!” But she might also accept the challenge as an invitation to deeper integrity.

How comfortable am I with the shadow side of my nature? Am I willing to expose this secret side of my life to my spouse, a personal friend, a priest confessor, or a counselor? Are there things in my past that I choose to forget, rather than seek God’s pardon and atonement? Does the memory of past sins inspire me to greater gratitude for God’s saving mercy? Do those memories teach me greater compassion and patience with young people who have yet to experience the superabundant love of God in the impenetrable depths of their simple little souls?

The scriptures bear ample testimony to the revelations that will come on Judgment Day. No one should be so foolish as to think she will have no cause for shame. Rather, we plan to acclaim the Mercy of God who proves his Righteousness by the forgiveness of our sins.

1 comment:

  1. Superabundant love of God...what a wonderful thought. God is so much bigger than we can imagine. And I have a pretty big imagination.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.