Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Tuesday of the First Week of Ordinary Time

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/011012.cfm



Jesus came to Galilee proclaiming the Gospel of God:
"This is the time of fulfillment.
The Kingdom of God is at hand.
Repent, and believe in the Gospel."



Saint Mark's gospel opens with Jesus' rushing out of the wilderness, shouting at people as he goes:
The Kingdom of God is at hand. 
We can only imagine the reception he received, "What? Now? OMG!" He insisted there is no time to spare and no time to waste. Act now! Answer God's call now! The fishermen Simon, Andrew, James and John did just that. They dropped their livelihood and followed the Lord. 
Saint Mark's gospel, which we will hear on the Sundays of this year, is dense with immediacy. I understand that it is written in Greek in the present tense, though it is usually translated to English in the past tense. "Now! Now!" he says. 
He also uses  the word immediately often, especially in the first few chapters. I wish I were scholar enough to detail all those instances. (I never studied Greek in the seminary and,despite six years of  instruction, never learned Latin. As they say, Education is wasted on the young.)
Historians, scripture scholars and psychologists might reinterpret today's gospel to suggest the four disciples who dropped their nets and followed him actually had some prior knowledge of him. Perhaps they had heard him speak in the synagogue. Perhaps they had met in seminars with him and were only waiting for the moment when he might suddenly announce "Let's go!" 
Perhaps so, but that historical rereading misses Saint Mark's point. The Gospel always demands an immediate response, even if that is only "Ponder this and prepare to act." This immediacy is a constant note of  the Old and New Testaments, and is contained in Abraham's response, hineneh! Here I am! 
Jesus will show great impatience with those who put off his call: "Let the dead bury the dead." he says to one fellow who had a funeral to attend. (Mt 8:22; Luke 9:60) And "He who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is not fit for the kingdom of God." (Luke 9: 62)
This immediacy makes our Christian life intense and personal. We feel both joy at the nearness of the kingdom of God, and dread of the impending judgment. 
Practically speaking, it means, "Be alert for every opportunity to do good, and every opportunity to avoid evil." Both are always close at hand. 
Each morning we should pray, "Lord help me see clearly those opportunities as they appear." And each evening, we should pray, "Lord, forgive me for not seeing them clearly today. Thank you for tomorrow, and another day to choose your mercy." 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.