Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Wednesday of the Second Week in Ordinary Time



An angel by MSF Lake
Jesus said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." He stretched it out and his hand was restored.

Ordinarily, in the scriptures, stretching out one’s hand is a warrior’s gesture. The hand wields a sword, club or stone to smash the enemy.  Here are several verses from the Book of Exodus, for examples:

  • So I will stretch out my hand and strike Egypt with all my wonders that I will perform in it; after that he will let you go. 3: 20
  • I am the Lord, and I will free you from the burdens of the Egyptians and deliver you from slavery to them. I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment.  6:6
  • The Egyptians shall know that I am the Lord, when I stretch out my hand against Egypt and bring the Israelites out from among them.’  7:5
  • The Lord said to Moses, ‘Stretch out your hand towards heaven so that hail may fall on the whole land of Egypt, on humans and animals and all the plants of the field in the land of Egypt.’ 9.22

Today’s gospel begins with a man who suffers a withered hand. He seems defenseless against his enemies, vulnerable before anyone who might take advantage of him. His only defenses are the Lord and his willingness to obey the Lord’s command.
So when Jesus orders him to “Stretch out your hand” he does so willingly. And with the gesture he and Jesus strike down their enemies.
But it is a healing gesture too. His hand would not be healed if he did not obey the Lord. Saint Luke emphasizes that with his repetition of the word stretch in two consecutive sentences.
Perhaps he did not even see the conspiracy against Jesus. Aware of Jesus’ authority he might not have sensed the growing tension in the room. But by stretching out his hand this obedient disciple shattered the pious pretensions of the wicked and unleashed their diabolical rage. Out of control, they set to work – on the Sabbath – to destroy the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.