Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thursday after Ash Wednesday


A tree on the walk
between the VA hospital
and Saint Leonard's Church
"If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 
"There is a season for everything under heaven" and that includes Penance. Shortly after I was ordained I realized I didn't understand that word. It is core to my identity as a priest, Franciscan friar and Catholic and yet -- 37 years later -- it still illudes me. 
Penance has do with regret for one's sins and the hope for forgiveness. It must include a willingness to atone for wrongdoing, especially one's own wrongdoing. And, given that we are social, historical creatures, a willingness to atone for one's heritage.
Penance is joyous and grateful. It begins with the realization that God has chosen me. I have neither earned nor deserved his grace but He has given me this opportunity. 
But there is no opportunity worthy of the name which is not a challenge, and Penance is most certainly challenging. I must take up the cross the Lord has given me, daily and gratefully, and follow where he leads. 
Gratitude is the hard part. Sometimes I can only say the words "thank you" and hope the effort counts for something. 
The best formula I have for penance is this: I am not God. Thank God.
Remembering that God is still in charge! and I am not gives me the freedom to live as his son and beloved. Remembering that Only God is Good I can drop the pretense and acknowledge my unworthiness and my sins. 
Finally, remembering that God offers me deep and passionate forgiveness, I remember that sin is, By Definition, forgivable. 
This mystery is an endless vortex for contemplation and we have six full weeks to ponder it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.