Monday, March 5, 2012

Monday of the Second week in Lent



The Angel of Lake MSF
For the measure with which you measure
will in return be measured out to you."

On a cold winter day in 1976 I announced to the weekday congregation in Carey, Ohio that I would be transferred. I knew, of course, that this congregation had seen dozens of newly ordained priests come and go. Carey had been the site of our collegiate seminary and was often our first pastoral experience. This small town parish knew the Franciscan way of life.
But I was anticipating my first transfer as a priest and not taking it very well. After Mass an old fellow came and told me a story:
A man walking along the road approaches another man who sits by the roadside. “What are the folks like in this town up ahead?” he asked.
By way of reply, the idle man asked, “What were they like in the last town you visited?”
“They were awful people.” he said. “They were unfriendly and rude and, if they spoke to me at all, they told me to get out of town.”
“Well,” the fellow said, “the folks in this town are pretty much the same.”
Shortly after that another fellow came walking up the road. He too stopped and asked, “What are the folks like in this town up ahead?”
Again the idler asked, “What were they like in the last town you visited?”
“They were wonderful people,” he said, “cheerful, hospitable and helpful. I had to stay an extra week just to accommodate their kindness.”
“Well,” the fellow said, “the folks in this town are pretty much the same.”

The old man assured me I would be fine in my new assignment. He reminded me of Jesus’ teaching, “As you judge, so shall you be judged.” and “For the measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.