Saturday, March 3, 2012

Saturday of the First Week in Lent

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/030312.cfm


Today you are making this agreement with the LORD:
he is to be your God and you are to walk in his ways...
And today the LORD is making this agreement with you:
you are to be a people peculiarly his own, as he promised you...and you will be a people sacred to the LORD, your God,
as he promised."


At the end of his earthly career, after his crucifixion and resurrection, just before he ascended to God's right hand, the Lord sent us from Jerusalem into the world. 

As a Franciscan priest I've had close to a dozen assignments, including both sides of the hospital bed as a patient and as a chaplain. I've been an assistant pastor, pastor, retreat preacher and director, and twice a hospital chaplain. If "everybody moves every five years" in the United States, I've done more than my share; and made up for the many Americans who live in the very house where they were born. 

Wherever you are, I suppose, that's where the Lord sent you. 

But one might ask, "Why did he send us here?" To be different; to make a difference; to be holy; to be a holy presence; to be a blessing; to "be perfect just as your heavenly father is perfect."

Yes, that is a tall order. It was for Jesus too. He does not ask us to do what he has not done himself.  

In Lent we feel the burden of this calling, and its privilege. It's a burden not only because it's impossible to attain; it also makes us peculiarly his own. Being peculiar or odd is an enormous burden for young people; but even seniors are chary of being too religious. Many of us would be satisfied with good enough.

A nation that believes it is (or was) Christian craves an ill-defined freedom above every human virtue; but the Season of Lent reminds us we should be holy. We must keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, eager to
walk in his ways
and observe his statutes, commandments and decrees,
and to hearken to his voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.