Thursday, March 29, 2012

Thursday of the third week of Lent



Ceiling art in French Lick Hotel
The ferryman Charon transports
the dead across the
River Styx
"Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever keeps my word will never see death."


The Christian, in imitation of Christ, knows that death and life are not opposites. Like summer, fall, winter and spring which make one year; and day and night which together make one day; death and life are life.

I once knew a woman who was very sick. Several doctors believed she had cancer but she refused to have a biopsy. I asked her why not. She said, very simply, “It might hurt.” I could hardly believe what I was hearing but her family confirmed it. Because she was afraid of the pain of a biopsy the poor woman died a slow and painful death that might not have been necessary.
Jesus marched resolutely for Jerusalem, knowing what would happen when he got there. He suffered in the Garden of Gethsemane, as anyone would, an agony of fear. But when his dread passed, as all feelings pass, he greeted his tormentors with equanimity. He did not want pain, suffering and death but neither was he afraid of them. He accepted them as one accepts night when the sun goes down.
Americans think that death and life are opposites. I found an extreme example of that doctrine in a Minnesota church. They believed no one of their members would die before the Second Coming of Christ. I asked a former member of that church, “What do they do when someone dies?” She replied, “They don’t talk about it.” That seems to be how Americans deal with death. It’s the great taboo.

As Lent draws to a close we enter Holy Week. We have recognized our remorse, guilt and shame. We are appalled that Jesus must die horribly to atone for us -- but we welcome that as well. Not to do so would be to flee from him when he most needs our presence.
As we admire his courage we pray we will have the same courage to go wherever he leads us, especially "at the hour of our death. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.