Friday, April 27, 2012

Friday of the third week of Easter



Mint
ready for the Derby
Whoever eats my Flesh and drinks my Blood
has eternal life,
and I will raise him on the last day.
For my Flesh is true food,

and my Blood is true drink. 
Whoever eats my Flesh and drinks my Blood

remains in me and I in him.

I have written much on this passage already during the past two years. You can find them in May of last year and April the year before.

Jesus’ words keep pushing deeper roots into my heart. Perhaps you know already that a priest loves the Mass and the Blessed Sacrament more than anything. Having sacrificed the opportunity of wife, children and grandchildren our affections turn toward the altar and the Eucharist. Kissing the altar is for me no longer a silly gesture; it is an act of love and, in its own way, sensual. Anything that touches the lips leaves a strong impression and the hard stone of the altar, dressed in white linens, sends a thrill through me as I begin and end the Mass.
Likewise eating the Body of Christ and drinking His Blood are substantial nourishment for me.

I work in a friendly, secular environment. I am responsible in the VA hospital for the spiritual care of Veteran’s and their families listed as Catholic. I meet many devout, practicing Catholics; but most of the patients listed as Catholic no longer attend church. Many quit attending even during the high school years. Some never attempted to connect with a parish after they settled in a new neighborhood. Some discovered love in alcohol and drugs, which have left them wasted. A few have joined Protestant denominations but prefer to be listed as Catholic. (Why I do not know.) More than a few say they don’t believe in “organized religion.” And some call themselves atheists. One fellow told me is an atheist like Steve Jobs.
HCE is the rule for Catholics: “Here Comes Everybody.”

When I make a “cold call” on a new patient, I never know what to expect. Will I meet a devout Catholic or an indifferent one? Will he be hostile or friendly? Will his family want my attention or prefer that I ignore them? Much depends upon the first impression that I make, or they make on me; and it doesn’t always go well. In every case I am sure this Veteran didn’t come to the hospital to see the chaplain.
So each day, in my personal prayer, in the Liturgy of the Hours and especially during the Mass, I must “put on the armor of Christ.” (Ephesians 6:11) It may look to others like a Roman collar; but to me it is a spirit of neighborliness, concern, fearlessness and hospitality. Entering the Veteran’s room, I hide my anxiety with a touch of wry humor, “Welcome to our hospital.”
Each day, I eat the flesh and drink the blood of Jesus. Fortified, I am ready to be a priest and Christian, Christ to the Veteran. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your words and pics. Years ago wife and I took the Eucharist to a local nursing home( a faint comparison to what you do). It wasn't the cleanest. Moaning could be heard in the hallways. People would be sitting in their rooms talking out loud to no one in particular. We had our "favorites" and, well... Anyway, it takes a special person to do what you do on a regular basis. I'm sure you have good days and bad days. I' m also sure that you get the importance of what a Chaplain represents. It also
    is encouraging to see a priest's love for the banquet table. What a profound example of the collar. May God continue to bless you and your work, and the work of all Chaplains. And, may your hat still fit after all the nice words.
    encouraging to hear a priest talk about his love for

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take communion to patients at Jewish Hospital. I start off with, "Your name is on the Catholic patient list." I check for a reaction. Why would you list Catholic if you didn't suspect that someone would call on you while you're there???? I too get a variety of responses from "blinded deer in the headlights" to pure joy and relief. The experience stretches and encourages and strengthens my own faith. It is an honor to bring the Most Blessed Sacrament to people in such a situation - whatever it maybe.

    Fr. Ken is apparent that you love the Eucharist. Thus your priesthood is a light to all who will look and see. I like the scripture from Ephesians too, putting on the armor of Christ. When I go to school, 98% of the time I remember to put on my simple Tau. Because I follow the footsteps of St. Francis who leads us to Jesus.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.