Saturday, April 14, 2012

Saturday of Easter Week



She went and told his companions who were mourning and weeping.
When they heard that he was alive
and had been seen by her, they did not believe.


On this seventh day we have nearly run out of stories about the resurrection of Jesus. Today’s passage from Saint Mark is a postscript. The editor (who is not the Evangelist Mark) is apparently familiar with stories from the gospels of Luke and John.  He tacked them onto Mark’s gospel because it seemed to end so abruptly. However he changes the stories a bit: he emphasizes Mark’s dominant theme, the disciples’ mule-headed reluctance to understand or believe anything he told them.

Given how few stories we have about the Risen Lord, it is hardly surprising his disciples doubted. Twenty centuries later we still find the Resurrection amazing, if not incredible. Many have often asked, “Why didn’t he show himself more plainly if he wanted the whole world to believe he had been raised?”

The question is hard to answer; and when I think of an answer, I know it’s not very persuasive.  Faith in the resurrection of Jesus is not the same thing as faith in the observations of scientists. They tell us the earth is round. I’ve never seen the round earth but I believe it is. The theory doesn’t answer all my questions about the earth, but that’s only because I don’t have many. It does seem a good explanation for all kinds of terrestrial and astronomical problems and nearly everyone accepts it.

Some people doubt the United States put men on the moon. Why they doubt it I do not know. However, I can see they suffer “invincible ignorance” about the matter and I don’t quarrel with them. Perhaps it will matter some day but it doesn’t matter to me. But if some people doubt we put men on the moon, or that JFK was shot by a lone gunman, why would they believe Jesus rose from the dead? There is no amount of proof that would overcome their suspicion.

Faith in Jesus, then, is neither scientific certainty nor taking somebody’s word for it. Faith, it seems, can rely on precious little hard data. But even when a person absolutely believes in Jesus’ resurrection, it makes little or no difference if his faith doesn’t actually change his heart.

Why would I care that a man rose from the dead two thousand years ago if the story did not inspire my piety, generosity, sacrifices and occasionally courageous acts? Faith makes a difference in one’s heart, or it is not faith.

Can a skeptic believe this? No. Why should he? He might even think he is plenty generous and courageous enough without faith. And maybe he is! That's not my call. 

Perhaps this is why Saint Paul said he would speak only of Christ and Christ crucified (1 Cor 2:2). Perhaps this is why the early church would not speak of Baptism and the Eucharist with non-believers. 

I grew up with the Baltimore Catechism, a book that had an answer for every question and a question for every answer. It even gave answers to questions no one asked and to people who didn't want to known them. But early Christians “explained” the sacraments to new members only after they had been Baptized, received the Eucharist and Confirmed. During their years of preparation they were politely excluded from the Mass and never told about their soaking in water, the "bread" they would eat or the "wine" they would drink. It was sufficient they should know about Jesus, his ethics and his teachings. If they did justice, loved kindness and walked humbly with our God, we were sure they belonged. 

Perhaps we should share our generosity, affection and concern openly with the entire world, friends and enemies alike; and our deep mysteries, only with the elect. 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting comments on faith. What is faith? How do you pass it along to others, especially the young in our society today? Kids seem to admire faith. They look at those with a spiritual aura. But if it's not fun, why would you like to participate? Life is about fun. But students stop and listen when you speak truth honestly. I will tell them when things aren't fun, faith remains. Too many understand what I mean. So many students have so much to be bitter and disappointed about. They are hungry. I believe they are hungry for faith in Jesus.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.