Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tuesday of the Third Week of Easter

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/042412.cfm

My nephew and niece
baptized during the
2012 Easter Vigil


So they said to Jesus,
"Sir, give us this bread always."
Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life;
whoever comes to me will never hunger,
and whoever believes in me will never thirst."

During his administration, President Nixon stabilized food prices in the United States with a permanent farm subsidy. The price of food would no longer rocket up and down by the laws of supply and demand. This made him popular with women voters who did most of the food shopping. So long as we are human we will feel anxiety about our daily bread. Anyone who can promise a steady supply of food -- be he Moses, Jesus or Nixon – will find a ready welcome.

But Jesus challenges every Jewish tradition and custom by placing himself squarely at the center of his new religion. He is not a lawgiver like Moses, a prophet like Elijah or a teacher like Qoheleth. Nor is he a legendary character like Samson, Jonah or Daniel. Neither is he a prehistoric hero like Enoch, Methuselah or Noah. He is rather, the word made flesh; the very Son of God. 

And yet, Jesus lived in our very familiar world of commerce, taxes and war. He encountered as many fools and as many wise people as we do today. He dealt with complexities, chicanery and stress as we do. Like you and me, he had many friends and some enemies; while most people ignored him as they went about their business. Only some of his family believed in him; others were troublesome meddlers. (Doesn't that sound too familiar?) We can even locate precisely where Jesus lived and when. 

Despite his familiar features as just another human being among the billions who have lived and died on this planet, Jesus announces, “I am the bread of life.”

So long as we are human he will hold out his promise of food and drink for the hungry and thirsty, if only we believe in him. 

1 comment:

  1. Jesus. Human and divine. How? Why? So what? Human and divine. Divine and human. It really is more love than this little mind can hold.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.