Sunday, May 27, 2012

Pentecost Sunday




Jesus said to his disciples:
"He will glorify me, because he will take from what is mine and declare it to you. Everything that the Father has is mine; for this reason I told you that he will take from what is mine and declare it to you."

In the Trinity of God there is no “mine;” the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit enjoy the intimacy of poverty. The Father has given himself entirely to the Son, and the Son to the Father. Their love is the roiling Spirit between them and poured with abandon upon us. It is superabundant, without stint or measure:
Give and gifts will be given to you; a good measure, packed together, shaken down, and overflowing, will be poured into your lap. For the measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you.” Luke 6:38

Pentecost celebrates God’s Spirit poured upon the Church, and the “flood” of Jesus’ disciples into the street. They could not be contained within the walls of any house. They were so excited some passersby accused them of drunkenness. The unfamiliar taste of God in their mouths threw the disciples into a kind of intoxication and their joy knew no bounds.
Saint Catherine wrote: “And I went up the hill and asked the Lord what to do. And the Lord answered me, “Overflow like pure water, smooth and still, and reflect me in yourself.” (Poetry Magazine, May 2012)
Today’s talk of “spirituality” always leaves me suspicious and one thing I suspect about it is cop out. We are called to be the physical presence of Jesus and the Holy Spirit in this world, and not simply a spiritual presence. Whatever “spiritual” seems to mean today, it doesn’t seem to mean actual presence, real presence, or anything that might make a difference. It’s vague and insubstantial like the receptionist's “Have a nice day!” or the waiter’s “Enjoy!” It’s indifferent and unreliable; it’s the lover’s promise to get married “one of these day, but not today.”

When Jesus pours his Spirit upon us we step out and take his substantial place in this world. We are organized, prepared and motivated. We reflect him and show him and shine his happy light in the darkness of our world. This light floods systems and structures, the personal and the political. It is invariably controversial. The well-intentioned welcome it and the wicked despise it.

During this election year many wish the Church would just settle down and let the nation choose its own reckless course. That’s not in our genetic makeup. We will be heard by both major parties. Some politicians and blocs will curry our vote; others will write it off; none can ignore it. What is certain is that neither party represents the Holy Spirit, despite their claims of moral righteousness; God is not in their genetic makeup. 

On this Pentecost Sunday of 2012 we pray that we will “Overflow like pure water, smooth and still, and reflect me in yourself.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.