Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tuesday of the Tenth Week in Ordinary Time



You are the light of the world.
A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden.
Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket;
it is set on a lamp stand,
where it gives light to all in the house.
Just so, your light must shine before others,
that they may see your good deeds
and glorify your heavenly Father."

Yesterday we celebrated the feast of Saint Barnabas and our gospel was chosen for that feast. Had it not been for the feast we would have heard the beginning of the Sermon on the Mount, when Jesus went up the mountain, sat down and began to teach. There he taught his disciples his way of life, beginning with the Beatitudes.  Today we take up his Sermon with the teaching about our being “salt of the earth” and “light of the world.”
Throughout my training as a priest I was encouraged to “relax and be yourself” especially in those challenging situations when I am with people who are enduring great stress or powerful emotions. “Be yourself” meant “Don’t give advice; don’t explain things; don’t try to fix everything, etc.”

So what was I supposed to do?

Of course, when I found myself in those predicaments I have often played out my family roles of big brother and hero. I tried to fix things, explain things and give advice. None of which was helpful. But, thank God, more often than not, no harm was done. They ignored my advice, didn’t hear my explanations, brushed aside whatever I had fixed and thanked me for coming.

Eventually I would learn to just shut up and be myself. Or, as one fellow explained, “Don’t just do something, stand there!”

Often the grace of God shines through my willingness to be uncomfortable, ignorant, uncertain and confused. The more useless I feel, the more useful I become. People find that helpful, especially when I believe that God is here. As Martin Luther pointedly explained, we are saved by faith, not by our deeds, no matter how heroic.

In the darkness of ignorance, uncertainty, discomfort and confusion the Light of God shines brightly, giving assurance, direction and healing. As Saint Paul learned, “In your weakness is my strength.” (2 Cor 12:9)

1 comment:

  1. So Friar Ken, being a big brother is not a bad thing. I hope for a big brother who will listen to my story - without judgment, then enCOURAGE me to to move forward do to the things that I know I must do. It reminds me of my role as a parent to now adult children. I must let them spread their wings. I my job to reassure them that they do have the capability to take care of their own business and that Mom and Dad are rooting for them, but not taking care of their business.
    Whether being a big brother or a parent, it is not easy.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.