Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Wednesday of the Ninth Week of Ordinary Time



He saved us and called us to a holy life,
not according to our works
but according to his own design…

It is such a relief to know my call, ministry and salvation are not about me! My life is not about me! I used to worry about whether I was good enough, smart enough and people liked me. But he saved and called us -- not me alone but all of us together -- to a holy life according to his design, not mine.

I still get anxious, of course, about being good enough, smart enough etc – but that’s because I worry about what others think about me. That’s just my particular neurosis, and it’s not important either. I like to remember the older friar – stop me if I’ve told you this story before – who said, “When I was young I worried about what people thought of me. But then I decided I don’t care what people think about me. Now I know people don’t think about me at all!”

People have a lot of more important things to think about than what I am doing, whether I measure up, or if I am good enough or smart enough; or even if they like me. Freed of that nonsense I can get on with the life and work the Lord has given me, as Saint Paul instructed his disciple “stir into flame the gift of God that you have through the imposition of my hands.

I am just old enough to remember Dad’s going to the basement to “stir into flame” the last of the burning embers in our furnace, and load another pile of coal on top of it. In the winter he performed this chore every morning and evening. When Saint Paul urged Timothy to stir into flame the gift of God he was using a very familiar image. Before the advent of piped-in natural gas and electric furnaces, stoking the furnace, hearth or fireplace was not something you did once in a while, not in the winter time anyway. When the snow was flying you didn’t forget it!

Spiritually the snow is still flying all year round, at least in my part of the world, and I have to do this spiritual chore often. What a blessing it is to find the spark still glowing and fresh coal to heap upon it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.