Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Feast of Saint James, apostle



Brothers and sisters:
We hold this treasure in earthen vessels,
that the surpassing power may be of God and not from us.

The New Testament never hesitates to show just how earthen these vessels are. If there are heroes in the book they are ordinary men and women chosen by God to do extraordinary things.  The older I get the more I see just how ordinary I am, along with my fellow Christians.

Recently I mentioned to the Veterans in my Spirituality Discussion Group at the VA hospital, that some priests seek treatment for alcoholism. At least one fellow was shocked by this revelation, and angered. “How can they tell me how to live when they can’t do it themselves?” he said.

Good question. I’m not sure I have an answer, except to plead “We are only messengers.” God uses earthen vessels used to carry a priceless fluid. 

Occasionally God does choose an extraordinary person, some spiritual genius, to convey the message. That one will be a Francis of Assisi or Mother Theresa of Calcutta; and the world watches closely to see if there are beneath their golden faces, feet of clay. We’ve seen the spectacular fall of many apparent saints; and cynics like me expect the worse.

But more often God uses damaged goods like you and me. As Saint Paul said:
Consider your own calling, brothers. Not many of you were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. Rather, God chose the foolish of the world to shame the wise, and God chose the weak of the world to shame the strong, and God chose the lowly and despised of the world, those who count for nothing, to reduce to nothing those who are something, so that no human being might boast before God.

If I could say, “Do it my way and you’ll be as good as I am” I would say it. But it would not be true. I can only urge my fellow, damaged human being, “Trust in God. He will carry you through.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.