Friday, July 20, 2012

Friday of the Fifteenth Week in Ordinary Time

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/072012.cfm


i say to you, something greater than the temple is here.if you knew what this meant, i desire mercy, not sacrifice,you would not have condemned these innocent men.for the son of man is lord of the sabbath."



In Louisiana I was occasionally visited by a distant son of the parish, a fellow who never joined the Church in worship but was a member, sort of. He never came to Church because God spoke to him directly and often. Since the fellow wanted nothing in particular from me, and seemed harmless I would hear him out and let him go on his way.


But eventually he had to dispose of his father's property and came by to discuss the matter with me. Without going into detail I can say the parish church had some interest in how the property was handled. He and I disagreed on a particular point and he asked me, "Don't you believe that God talks to me?"

He had never asked that question before.

I had no choice but to say, "No."

I never saw him again but he settled the matter to my satisfaction.

Just as I doubted my peculiar friend, many doubted Jesus' authority. If life is difficult, it is also risky. 
"You pays your money and you makes your choice." There are no guarantees we'll make the right choice. Jesus offered his contemporaries a choice, and they made their choice -- wrongly, as it turns out. I still feel pretty sure about the fellow in Louisiana. He was a nut case.


The Christian is called to live under an authority that will always remain mysterious to the world around us. It is an authority of the Holy Spirit and has an imperceptible immediacy. No one can claim to be driven by the Holy Spirit and expect no challenges from others, neither church authorities, family or civil. 

Daily we must pray that we obey the Spirit of God as we make our choices. We give to some and refuse others. We forgive some and not others. We allow this and refuse that. There are not always clear guidelines for knowing right from wrong. The Spirit of God must lead us as it led Isaiah, Hezekiah, Jesus and his disciples. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.