Friday, July 13, 2012

Friday of the Fourteenth Week in Ordinary Time



When they hand you over, 
do not worry about how you are to speak 

or what you are to say. 

You will be given at that moment what you are to say. 

For it will not be you who speak 
but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.


(“If you were arrested for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?”)


What could be more perplexing than being arrested for one’s faith? If the authorities came for me I’m sure I’d be worrying furiously about my defense; but how would I defend   myself if I were accused of doing good? Anyone can think of a thousand alibis and excuses for doing wrong, but for doing good? Surely the predicament of the martyr is confounding. Remember that martyr is a legalism; that is, one who witnesses the faith specifically during a judicial procedure.


This person will be offered the opportunity to explain very deep mysteries, mysteries that can be understood only by initiates who enjoy the privileges of Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation. Presumably the judge, the prosecuting attorney, the jury and the Law in general are unfamiliar with these mysteries. Even the defense attorney, If court appointed, may be at a loss to explain why the Christian acts in that suspicious manner.
When Jesus was put in this situation before Pilate he was silent. There was little point in his preaching to the Roman procurator. He simply reminded the befuddled bureaucrat that he had no authority except that which had been given him from above. Pilate presumed Jesus meant Rome; but he was speaking of his heavenly father.


Recently I found myself challenged on a point of faith. I told a group of neophytes to the Alcoholics Anonymous that I had not had a drink in 32 years. One fellow demanded to know how I could make such a claim if I drank wine during the Mass. He could not understand that I do not drink wine; I drink the Precious Blood of Jesus Christ. I did explain the distinction, but I might as well have thrown a string of pearls to swine. Perhaps he will understand someday, if he gets the program and happens to enter the Church through RCIA.




The Christian’s defense will not win his release. Jesus doesn’t promise that. Nor is that very important. Rather, the words the Father provides will announce Good News to those who are being saved. Like Saint Paul when Saint Stephen was stoned to death, they might be standing on the edge of the crowd. They might be outside the courtroom, or reading about it in the newspapers. Hearing the testimony they will feel the seductive power of the Paraclete -- also a legalism meaning advocate -- tormenting their presuppositions and drawing them to freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.